Woman rescued after fire in Norwich flat
A woman was rescued by firefighters after her Norwich home was filled with smoke while she was cooking.
Fire crews were called to the flat in Foulgers Opening, off Ber Street in the city centre, just before 4pm yesterday (Saturday) to reports of a smell of burning.
Crews from Carrow and Earlham went to the scene and grew concerned that somebody might be in the flat.
Mick Hughes, watch manager, said: 'Looking through the letterbox and through the blinds, we could see there was a small amount of smoke.
'We were knocking on the door but got no response so we committed teams to force the door open. The lady inside was in a nearby room and was confused and semi conscious.
You may also want to watch:
'We brought her outside to get some fresh air and crews administered oxygen to her before we handed her over to the paramedics.'
The woman, believed to be in her 30s or 40s, had been cooking dinner in an electric oven.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 3 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 4 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 5 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 6 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 7 Two women injured in serious crash which closed road
- 8 Norwich Airport puts back a host of flights as Covid bites
- 9 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 10 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
Mr Hughes said the flat did not appear to have a smoke alarm in it and urged all householders to make sure they did fit an alarm.
Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service offers advice on home safety and how to fit smoke alarms properly. Call 0800 9178137 for details.