Woman rescued after fire in Norwich flat

A woman was rescued by firefighters after her Norwich home was filled with smoke while she was cooking.

Fire crews were called to the flat in Foulgers Opening, off Ber Street in the city centre, just before 4pm yesterday (Saturday) to reports of a smell of burning.

Crews from Carrow and Earlham went to the scene and grew concerned that somebody might be in the flat.

Mick Hughes, watch manager, said: 'Looking through the letterbox and through the blinds, we could see there was a small amount of smoke.

'We were knocking on the door but got no response so we committed teams to force the door open. The lady inside was in a nearby room and was confused and semi conscious.


You may also want to watch:


'We brought her outside to get some fresh air and crews administered oxygen to her before we handed her over to the paramedics.'

The woman, believed to be in her 30s or 40s, had been cooking dinner in an electric oven.

Most Read

Mr Hughes said the flat did not appear to have a smoke alarm in it and urged all householders to make sure they did fit an alarm.

Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service offers advice on home safety and how to fit smoke alarms properly. Call 0800 9178137 for details.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus