Woman praises neighbour after kitchen fire in Harleston

Mendham Lane, Harleston.

Mendham Lane, Harleston. - Credit: Archant

A woman has praised her neighbour for raising the alarm as a fire started in her kitchen as she slept.

Danielle Watson, who lives in Mendham Lane, Harleston, fell asleep while mince was cooking on the stove.

The food overcooked and caused a small fire, setting off the fire alarm which was overheard by the neighbour.

She called Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service and crews from Diss, Long Stratton and Harleston attended.

Ms Watson said: 'My next door neighbour is brilliant. I was cooking mince on the stove and it exploded and set the alarms off.

'I was sleeping through it and she rung the firefighters and came and woke me up.'

The incident happened at 7.45pm on Saturday evening.

Most Read

Firefighters helped Ms Watson from the property and used hose reel jets to put out the fire before using a fan to ventilate the smoke-logged house.

The fire crews left the scene at 8.15pm.

Station manager Richard Smith said: 'We always say a working smoke alarm is key.

'Make sure you've got them and make sure they are working.'

The police and East of England Ambulance Service also attended.