Woman’s body found in river
- Credit: Archant
The body of a woman believed to be in her 70s has been found in the River Bure, Norfolk Police have confirmed.
The coastguard sent out a lifeboat and Gorleston and Winterton rescue teams at 8.53pm last night (January 30) to the river in Great Yarmouth after a woman was reported missing. They were stood down just after midnight.
But police officers and coastguard teams were then called to the scene again just after 8am this morning, where the body of a woman was recovered from the water behind Asda on Acle New Road.
They remained at the scene for more than two hours until just after 10.30am.
An eyewitness said: "When I was leaving the Asda carpark around 9.15am, I saw a police car and forensic van parked over by the water and looking out into it. When I was driving out there was a coastguard truck rushing in with lights and sirens on."
You may also want to watch:
Locals claimed to have seen search and rescue helicopters in the area around Great Yarmouth late last night, which Norfolk Police has confirmed were also deployed in relation to the missing woman found this morning.
Police have confirmed that the incident is not being treated as suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner to determine cause of death.
- 1 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 4 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 5 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 6 Christmas craft, food and gift fair returning to Norfolk estate
- 7 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 8 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 9 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
- 10 Former factory site to become a new church