Woman escapes burning building in Scarning, Dereham

A woman escaped from her burning home this morning thanks to a smoke detector, fire crews have said.

The blaze began at 6am today (Sunday) in the kitchen of the house in Bluebell Close, Scarning, near Dereham.

Two fire crews from Dereham were sent to the scene where they tackled the fire for two hours. A fire brigade spokesman said: 'I know the crew commented that the smoke detector saved her life.

'If it wasn't for the smoke detector it could have been a very different story.'

Both floors of the house were gutted by the fire which yesterday sat with its windows wide open and a number of burned-out items sitting on the grass at the front of the home.

The woman was not believed to be injured.