Woman critical after hit and run
An elderly woman is fighting for her life in hospital after being struck by a hit and run vehicle in Bury St Edmunds.Suffolk Police is appealing for witnesses following the collision, which happened whilst the pedestrian crossed Out Northgate, near the junction with Station Hill, on Wednesday evening.
An elderly woman is fighting for her life in hospital after being struck by a hit and run vehicle in Bury St Edmunds.
Suffolk Police is appealing for witnesses following the collision, which happened whilst the pedestrian crossed Out Northgate, near the junction with Station Hill, on Wednesday evening. The offending vehicle, which has been described as a small dark coloured van, failed to stop and drove off towards the Mildenhall estate at about 6.30pm.
The victim, who is local and in her 80s, was taken to the West Suffolk Hospital following the incident, where she remains in a critical condition. She was with a friend who was extremely shaken but unhurt.
Sgt Bob Patterson from the Bury roads policing unit said: "This is an extremely serious incident which has left an elderly woman critically ill in hospital. It happened near a busy roundabout on main routes through the town just after rush hour, and there would also have been taxis and rail passengers in the area coming and going from the train station.
You may also want to watch:
"We are appealing for anyone who may have seen the collision to come forward."
Call Suffolk Police on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 3 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 4 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 5 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 6 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 7 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 8 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 9 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 10 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital