Winners revealed at 25th EDP Business Awards
- Credit: SIMON FINLAY
The cream of the region's business community was celebrated in style last night as the winners of the EDP Business Awards were unveiled.
During a glittering ceremony at the Norfolk Showground Arena, nearly 500 guests discovered the winners of 16 awards from director of the year to best employer.
The event, hosted by BBC Look East's Stewart White, culminated with the business of the year award sponsored by Barclays, which was won by Stalham-based Broads boat hire company Richardson's Leisure after being shortlisted with Crisp Malting Group and Lisa Angel jewelry.
The night also celebrated the work of the former principal of Easton and Otley College David Lawrence, who received the Outstanding Achievement Award in recognition of his contribution to the farming industry.
And a special trophy was handed to Southwold-based brewer Adnams to mark 25 years since the launch of the EDP Business Awards.
EDP editor Nigel Pickover said the event celebrated the remarkable achievements of businesses from across the region and their important place driving growth in the local economy.
'It goes without saying that the quality of the applications was outstanding, making the task of choosing this evening's finalists harder than ever before,' he said.
- 1 Norfolk zoo keeper abandoned as a baby reunited with mother in ITV show
- 2 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 3 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
- 4 Queen's Platinum Jubilee flypast rehearses over Norfolk
- 5 Boat users given fines over £16k for breaking rules on Norfolk Broads
- 6 Two Norfolk seaside hotels named among the best in Britain
- 7 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 8 Norfolk couple: 'We’ve lost £30k in cryptocurrency scam'
- 9 Café completely sells out on first week of launching Sunday roasts
- 10 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
'It is with great pride to tell you here this evening that we had nearly 300 entries - a true indicator of the exceptional companies we have in East Anglia.'
'Year after year the EDP Business Awards has stepped forward and celebrated the region's wealth creators. And this year is particularly special as we mark the 25th anniversary of the Business Awards,' he added.
'For a quarter of a century, this event has richly-rewarded the region's business talent with the recognition it deserves. Long may it continue.'
Intrepid explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes delivered the keynote speech at the black-tie event, where he talked about how lessons learned from performing under pressure can be applied to business.
The awards ceremony and gala dinner was the culmination of months of planning, with the judges being dispatched across the region to find the best companies Norfolk, Waveney and Fenland has to offer.
• For in-depth coverage, pick up a copy of next Wednesday's EDP for a special 20-page supplement profiling this year's winners.