Will Young to star in Cabaret at Norwich Theatre Royal
Will Young is to star in the musical Cabaret when it comes to Norwich later this year before its run in London's West End.
The production - directed by multi-award winning theatre, opera and film director Rufus Norris - will play Norwich Theatre Royal from September 17 to 22 as part of a four-week UK tour before moving to The Savoy Theatre in London in October.
Will - who has sold more than nine million albums since winning Pop Idol in 2002 - will be making his musical theatre debut as the enigmatic character Emcee in the show.
He said: 'I am very excited about the challenge of choosing Cabaret as my first musical theatre role. The role of the Emcee is a part I have wanted to play since before I started training at Arts Education in Chiswick when I first moved to London.'
He added: 'I have spent the last ten years, singing, dancing and acting all separately.
You may also want to watch:
'For the first time I get to do all three in one show. How could I NOT be excited. After the success of my latest album, 'Echoes' it feels like the perfect time to step back from pop for six months and take on the challenge of story telling in another form and what a story to tell!'
Cabaret features show-stopping choreography, dazzling costumes and an array of well-known songs including Money Makes The World Go Round and Cabaret.
- 1 Woman sexually assaulted in Norwich
- 2 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 3 Norfolk-based Rick Wakeman 'stunned and proud' after being made a CBE
- 4 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 5 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 6 Family told baby with half a working heart has weeks to live
- 7 Woman on soft-food diet 'forever' after attack by kick-boxer partner
- 8 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 9 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 10 Pub hands out free ice creams during road collision traffic jam
The production turns Weimar Berlin of 1931 into a sassy, sizzling haven of decadence, and at its dark heart are the notorious Emcee and sassy Sally Bowles, who perform nightly at the infamous Kit Kat Klub.
Since its Broadway premiere in 1966 and the famous movie version with Liza Minnelli and Oscar winner Joel Grey, Cabaret has won a staggering number of stage and screen awards including eight Oscars, seven BAFTAs and 13 Tonys. • For more information and to book tickets visit www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk or call 01603 630000.