Who’s the next Doctor Who? Tilda Swinton beating Olivia Colman in race for the TARDIS
- Credit: PA
Actress Tilda Swinton is the frontrunner to become Doctor Who's next Time Lord, beating the likes of Norwich-born Olivia Colman, according to the latest bookmakers' odds.
The Oscar-winning British star would take over the role from departing actor Peter Capaldi, who recently announced he is stepping down from the series this year after entering the TARDIS in 2013.
Ladbrokes has said Swinton, 56, has been the focus of a 'huge gamble' from punters, with her odds now at 7/2 after initially having entered the market at 10/1. Former Gresham's School pupil Colman is at 5/1.
Other names in the running include Death In Paradise's Kris Marshall at 4/1 and Maxine Peake, best known for Dinnerladies and Shameless, at 8/1.
The number of bets being placed on female stars highlights the calling for the first female Doctor when the character regenerates once again.
You may also want to watch:
Ladbrokes spokeswoman Jessica Bridge said: 'Whovian punters are becoming increasingly convinced the next Doctor will be female, and fingers are currently pointing towards Swinton.'
Michelle Gomez, who plays Missy in the show, Captain America star Hayley Atwell and Sherlock actress Amanda Abbington are among those fans have said they would like to see in the role.
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 7 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 8 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 9 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 10 Up and coming Norwich musician reaches number 13 in UK charts
The BBC sci-fi series's outgoing executive producer Steven Moffat previously suggested that the Doctor could, at some point, be a woman.
He said: 'I think the next time might be a female Doctor. I don't see why not.'
Capaldi's final performance as the Doctor will be in the Christmas 2017 special.