White Lion Steps in Gorleston still no closer to fully re-opening five years after collapse of wall
- Credit: Picture: Nick Butcher
Five years after a wall collapsed, narrowly avoiding a schoolboy, a stairwell has still not been repaired.
The White Lion Steps in Gorleston collapsed on April 11, 2012 after torrential rain led to a build up of water behind a retainer wall which subsequently collapse.
A torrent of mud and masonry cascaded down the stairwell connecting Cliff Road to Beach Road and narrowly missed a 12-year-old boy.
The route has been partially blocked since then although the public can still access the short cut and full repairs have never been carried out.
The flight of stairs was divided into two, and one side remains passable.
You may also want to watch:
Detailed costings work have not been undertaken to establish what the cost of repair work, as that would incur further costs to Norfolk County Council, who own the steps. However it is estimated to be in the order of £250,000.
A county council spokesman said the steps would continue to be maintained in their reduced state, and there was no plans for any further repairs.
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 4 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 5 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 6 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 7 ATM containing thousands of pounds stolen from petrol station
- 8 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus
- 9 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
- 10 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
Norfolk County Council confirmed in September 2015 it would be backing away from recovering costs to pay for repairs, as the process itself was becoming too expensive.
The spokesman added the authority had decided not to push ahead with 'complex and lengthy' legal action having spent in the order of £10,000 already.
They said that the council had 'exhausted all realistic possibilities of recovering money' from the developer of the nearby housing as it tried to agree responsibility for the collapse.
The spokesman said: 'The steps belong to the county council but the land alongside is privately owned and had been subject to recent building work by a local development company.
'Unfortunately it became increasingly apparent to the Authority that restoration of the steps was unlikely to be settled without formal action.
'In the meantime, we erected a timber hoarding to segregate the collapse and ensure that safe use of the steps was maintained.
'Reluctantly, the decision has been taken to no longer actively pursue the development company as this will simply incur further legal costs with little or no prospect of recovery.'
An earlier probe ruled a build up of water behind the wall lead to the sudden structural failure.