Which churches in Norfolk have been voted the most welcoming
- Credit: Archant
The most 'welcoming' churches across the diocese have been announced as part of a new competition launched this year.
All Saints Church in Hemblington and Wymondham Abbey were both praised for creating a warm and inviting atmosphere for visitors.
They beat 30 other entries to be crowned as the most welcoming Anglican churches in the Diocese of Norwich.
It is the first year the diocese has held the competition and the winning buildings were selected by a panel of judges.
The Bishop of Norwich, the Rt Rev Graham James, who announced the winners, said: 'First impressions matter in life. A welcoming church will give a good first impression, but the welcome must not be superficial otherwise the good feeling the visitor has will soon fade.
You may also want to watch:
'Wymondham Abbey and Hemblington, two churches of very different size and resources, have built a well-deserved reputation for their welcome and witness.'
People were asked to nominate their churches, before judges rated them on how well maintained, interesting and clean they were.
- 1 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 4 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 5 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 6 Lorry driver admits causing deaths of two people in A47 crash
- 7 Hospital opens new £625,000 cancer wellbeing and support centre
- 8 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 9 Norfolk covid levels below national average but concerns raised about variants
- 10 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
They also looked out for signs indicating if the building was open and any guides or leaflets about the church on display.
Other churches which were highly commended include:
• St Michael, Irstead
• St Michael and All Angels, Aylsham
• St Peter and St Paul, Cromer
• The Fountain of Life, Ashill
• All Saints, Hethel
• St Catherine's, Ludham
• St George, Tombland
• St Edmund, Taverham
• St Mary Magdalene, Gorlston
• St Helen, Norwich