What do you think of the plans for new offshore wind farms?
- Credit: www.chpv.co.uk
Proposals to build new offshore wind farms off the Norfolk coast have sparked much debate, but what do you think?
There are plans to build three of the world's biggest offshore wind farms off the coast in years to come.
Danish energy firm Orsted wants to build its Hornsea Three wind farm 120km north of the Norfolk coast, while Swedish energy company Vattenfall is planning to build both the Norfolk Vanguard and its sister project Norfolk Boreas off the coast of Happisburgh.
With the projects comes billions of pounds of investment, the creation of hundreds of skilled jobs and, supporters argue, a significant contribution to the fight against climate change.
However, concerns have been raised over the impact of the onshore cables needed for the projects to connect to substations, which would require stretches of countryside to be dug up.
You may also want to watch:
Vattenfall's Norfolk Vanguard project will require a new substation to be built next to an existing one in the village of Necton, between Dereham and Swaffham.
At a public hearing into the Vanguard project in Dereham on Wednesday, April 24, residents of Necton, Cawston, Oulton and other towns and villages along the cable route expressed major concerns about damage to the countryside, increase in noise and traffic and the impact of the substations.
But what do you think about the offshore wind farms which could be built off the Norfolk coast? Have your say in our poll.
- 1 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 4 Former car showroom could make way for 146 student flats
- 5 Former pubs, schools and leisure centres among arson-hit sites
- 6 Why teacher was right to report Confederate flag to police
- 7 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 8 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 9 'This is nature' - Sadness as cathedral peregrine chick dies
- 10 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab