Weybread murder victim Peter Stuart had been dead for number of days
- Credit: Archant
North Suffolk murder victim Peter Stuart had been dead for at least two days before police found his body.
Mr Stuart died from multiple stab wounds and was discovered close to his home in Weybread, near Diss, on Friday June 3.
As detectives expanded the search for his missing wife Sylvia, 69, yesterday it emerged that murder suspect Ali Qazimaj had remained in the country for at least three days following the killing.
He travelled to France the day after police said they had found Mr Stuart's body, sparking national publicity.
Officers have not put a specific timeframe on when 75-year-old Mr Stuart died.
You may also want to watch:
However, last night Lucy Sheehan, a spokeswoman for Suffolk Constabulary, said: 'We believe he had been dead for a number of days.'
Mr Stuart's body was discovered at around 7.15pm on Friday, June 3, in woodland near the couple's home in Mill Lane
- 1 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 2 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 3 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 4 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 5 Petrol stations close nationally as HGV driver crisis worsens
- 6 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 7 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations
- 8 Rare Airbus Beluga XL spotted over Norfolk
- 9 Delays on A47 after lorry overturns
- 10 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
Qazimaj, a 42-year-old forklift truck driver from Tilbury, abandoned his Citroen C3 in Athol Terrace, Dover, on June 4.
Qazimaj, who also used the name Marco Costa, then boarded a ferry on foot at 7pm the same day and travelled to Calais.
He has not been seen since and is currently the subject of European-wide manhunt.
Yesterday police said they will broaden the search to find Mrs Stuart to the roadsides between Weybread and Tilbury over the next few days, as well as possible stopping places en route to Essex.
A 61-year-old Leicester man, thought to be the couple's son-in-law Steve Paxman, was arrested in connection with the murder on June 5. He was bailed on Monday to return on August 3.