Wet weather forces cancellation of popular Halesworth Wings and Wheels event
A popular annual celebration of vintage cars and flying displays has been cancelled because of recent wet weather.
Halesworth Lions have regretfully announced that this Sunday's Wings and Wheels event at Henham Park, near Southwold, will not be going ahead.
Wendy Mendham, Lions' spokesman, said: 'The sad fact is that the ground is so sodden following such heavy rain that the committee reached the decision with huge regret.
'Public parking, vintage vehicles, and heavy entertainment rides all have to access the site over pasture land, and while the weather forecast is for a better day on Sunday, the club has a responsibility to both Henham Park and the potential visitors to the event.
'The club would like to apologise to all our enthusiastic followers for the loss of this year's event particularly as some of the proceeds were to go to Help for Heroes.'
You may also want to watch:
The charity event was set to welcome roughly 100 aircraft, more than 50 stalls, in excess of 300 vintage vehicles and flying display teams.
Mrs Mendham said that the event was not expected to be rearranged, with the event due to return on May 12, 2013.
- 1 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 4 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 5 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 6 Lorry driver admits causing deaths of two people in A47 crash
- 7 Hospital opens new £625,000 cancer wellbeing and support centre
- 8 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 9 Norfolk covid levels below national average but concerns raised about variants
- 10 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
'In the meantime Halesworth Lions will now concentrate their fundraising energies on the Grand Summer Carnival to be held in Halesworth Town Centre Park on Sunday, June 10.'