Wet, exhausted, blistered: Team of five complete 24-hour tennis marathon in North Elmham
Thunder, lightening and rain did not stop play as five tennis enthusiasts this afternoon completed a 24-hour doubles marathon to raise money for the Big C cancer charity.
The team suffered blisters to their hands and feet during the effort to keep up games going between noon on Saturday and noon on Sunday at the North Elmham tennis club between Fakenham and Dereham.
The players took it in turns to take a 30 minute break, increasing to two hours during the night so they could get some sleep, and were cheered on by 50-60 people who came throughout the event to support them and cook them food.
Clare Biggie, Shaun Bradshaw, James Cane, Stewart Biggie and Jim Biggie have raised nearly �2,000 for the Big C so far, and completed a total of 419 games.
Club coach Mr Cane, 23, said: 'There were low points but there was never really any question of us quitting. I was determined we were going to do it to the end because we are doing it for a very close friend who's a member of the club. That drove us on.
You may also want to watch:
'I had been doing six hours straight and it got to about 10.30am and we had the most massive thunder storm. I stood there at one point and had to tip the water out of my shoes. It was stupid but it was great and we just kept thinking of our friend.'
The exhausted team have now headed home to catch some well earned rest, but Mr Cane is due back at work coaching players at the club tomorrow, while Ms Biggie's will enjoy some hopefully shorter matches at Wimbledon.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 4 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 5 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 6 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 7 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 8 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named
- 9 Music-lovers' pub could be demolished for 23 flats
- 10 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
To sponsor the team see http://www.justgiving.com/Clare-Biggie