School children join pilgrims as they head through town
- Credit: Archant
Pupils from two schools took part in a Christian pilgrimage as it passed through Downham Market.
The route of the Ely leg of the Student Cross Pilgrimage goes through the west Norfolk town as they make their way to Walsingham.
For the first time pupils from Ten Mile Bank Riverside Academy and Hilgay Riverside Academy were able to join them for a short section.
During their walk pupils talked to those taking part to learn more about the pilgrims and why they take part in the 62 mile pilgrimage.
A group of 10 pupils were also able to have a go at carrying the seven foot cross which is carried during the three-day journey.
You may also want to watch:
Ten Mile Bank headteacher Sarah Turner said: 'It gave the children an opportunity to see what modern day pilgrims do and who they are.
'It was an absolutely wonderful afternoon and the children got so much out of it and they were all so engaged.'
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 3 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 4 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 5 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 6 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 7 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 8 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 9 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 10 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack