West Norfolk Mayor Carol Bower joins beach clean at Snettisham
- Credit: Archant
West Norfolk mayor Carol Bower joined volunteers at a coastal litter pick.
Twenty King's Lynn rotarians and pupils from Springwood High and King Edward VII schools combed nearly two miles of Snettisham Beach.
Some 711 items weighing 37kg were collected. including almost 400 pieces of plastic.
Among the more unusual items found during the event were a complete metal chair, tennis balls, shoes, a scrubbing bush, balloons and jackets.
Mrs Bower said: 'It is was good to see so many people cleaning the beach and making it safer and more pleasant for people to use.
You may also want to watch:
'It was good to see the youngsters taking such an active role as it is their world that is being affected. A worry was the amount of plastics recovered.
'That, in such a short time, thirty plus kilos of materials were collected is a real sign of the problem we face, especially given that much of this is very lightweight.'
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 4 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 7 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 8 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 9 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
- 10 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen