West Norfolk cookery student through to the regional final of chef competition.
- Credit: Matthew usher
Lauren Smith, of Gayton, near King's Lynn as made it through to the next stage of a national competition after winning another regional heat.
She wowed the judges of the Rotary Club's Young Chef of the Year with her delicious three-course meal to earn a place in the regional final.
The College of West Anglia student prepared Thai style mussels, pan-fried fillet of sea bream with a warm carrot salad and a layered cheesecake.
Speaking after the competition, Miss Smith said 'It was a real shock to win and I'm now really looking forward to the regional final. It's given me an experience and a confidence boost along the way'.
She competed against eight other chefs from across Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Suffolk and Essex who all travelled to the King's Lynn campus of the College of West Anglia to take part.
You may also want to watch:
All contestants had to prepare and present a their meals within a pre-set budget and time limit to a panel of expert judges.
Hilary Auld, Head of the College of West Anglia's Faculty of Hospitality & Catering, said 'Lauren is a shining example of our professional cookery students. Her talent and calmness under pressure is outstanding and we will all be behind her when she competes in the Regional final'.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 5 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 6 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 7 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 8 Man defrauded more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm to fund gambling addiction
- 9 Norfolk and Waveney's 30 under 30 - from world-beating athletes to business owners
- 10 Rescuers resume search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
Miss Smith will compete next in regional final of the competition will be held on Saturday, March 14 at North Herts College in Hitchin.