West Ham fans top poll to find wittiest football chant – but what are your favourites?
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
A poll of football fans' wittiest chants has seen West Ham United crowned champions – and now we want to know your favourites.
Hammers fans took the honours in a search for the best football chant of the past decade, with a verse about Rio Ferdinand's spell on the bench for missing a drugs test.
Second in the poll was a singalong by Fulham fans for striker Bobby Zamora, which borrows the tune of Dean Martin's Amore.
The winning chant by Hammers fans was aimed at their own former player who had gone on to play for Manchester United but had received a ban, forcing him to sit on the sidelines. They sang, to the tune of Duran Duran's hit Rio: 'His name is Rio and he watches from the stand.'
The poll was conducted among 1,500 football fans to promote fantasy football game Oulala.
You may also want to watch:
Valery Bollier, Oulala co-founder, said: 'We know that British football fans are among the most passionate in the world and they are rightly famous all over the world for their witty terrace chants.
'Our top 10 shows how humour and sport are completely interlinked – a good laugh can pick up your spirits when losing or add to your opponents' misery when you are winning.'
- 1 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 2 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 3 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 4 Bungling car thieves dump £92,000 Range Rover
- 5 Woman hit with £900 vet bill after dog gets 'stoned' on park cannabis stash
- 6 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way
- 7 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 8 Excitement as city pub reopens after 18-month closure
- 9 Holiday homes bid for site of former landmark hotel
- 10 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
1. 'His name is Rio and he watches from the stand' – West Ham fans to Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand, sung to the tune of Duran Duran's Rio.
2. 'When you're sat in row Z, and the ball hits your head, that's Zamora, that's Zamora' – Fulham supporters – and before them, Brighton fans – hail their striker Bobby Zamora, sung to the tune of Dean Martin's That's Amore.
3. 'You should have stayed on the telly' – Newcastle United fans to Alan Shearer, when the Match of the Day pundit led the team to relegation as manager.
4. 'He's fast, he's red, he talks like Father Ted, Robbie Keane' – Liverpool fans on the club's striker.
5. 'Your teeth are offside, your teeth are offside, Luis Suarez, your teeth are offside' – Manchester United fans singing about Liverpool's Luis Suarez.
6. 'Deep fry yer pizzas, we're gonna deep fry yer pizzas' – Scotland fans to Italy's supporters in a World Cup qualifier in March 2007.
7. 'Chelsea, wherever you may be, keep your wife from John Terry' – Chelsea fans saluted their captain Terry after his affair with former team-mate Wayne Bridge's ex-girlfriend, sung to the tune of Lord Of The Dance.
8. 'John Carew, Carew. He likes a lap-dance or two. He might even pay for you. John Carew, Carew' – Aston Villa fans sang this about their player, to the Que Sera Sera song.
9. 'Fat Eddie Murphy, you're just a fat Eddie Murphy' – Newcastle United fans used this heckle on then-Chelsea player Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.
10. 'You only live round the corner' – Fulham to Manchester United supporters, a chant now sung by many other London teams when they play at home to United.
We want to know your favourites – post them below or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org