Weird Norfolk: The ghostly black dog of Cromer
- Credit: Archant
Just a stone's throw from the swallowed town of Shipden and Cromer's famous pier, local folklore tells of a ghost dog that haunts the beach, waiting where the waves break on the sand for an owner who never returned from the sea.
Witnesses tell of a large black dog – missing the glowing red saucer eyes of the county's famous Black Shuck, so a different beast altogether – which can be spotted close to the surf, seemingly staring out to sea. When approached, the hound simply vanishes into thin air, like a fading sea fret.
Another legend tells of a beautiful maiden who would often visit Cromer's jetty and parade her loveliness to the folk of the town until one day, a great black dog leapt from the sea and rewarded her vanity by carrying her away under the waves.
Then there is an altogether more sinister tale of a child who befriended a black dog on Cromer's beach and innocently paddled out to sea with the creature, taking to the waters for a swim.
Once in deep water, the dog is said to have started barking and growling at the child, apparently refusing to let the child return to the beach and safety – the floundering youngster was spotted by nearby sailors who swooped in and rescued the child. When they looked for the dog, it was nowhere to be seen.
You may also want to watch:
In more colourful renditions of the same tale, the dog transforms into a man once in the sea and attempts to drown the poor child. Whatever the story, the black dog of Cromer beach can still be seen, according to some, hopelessly staring towards the Baltics…watching and waiting for a master who will never return.
For more Weird Norfolk click here.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 4 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 5 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 6 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 7 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 8 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 9 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 10 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack
For a daily dose of Weird Norfolk follow our Instagram here.