Coldest night in the region since Beast from the East as temperatures plummet to -7C
- Credit: Nick Butcher
It was the coldest night in the region since Beast from the East after temperatures dropped below freezing across the county - and it could potentially drop even lower.
According to forecasters, temperatures dropped as low as -7C in some areas of Norfolk in the coldest night of the winter so far.
Dan Holley, meteorologist at Weatherquest, told followers on Twitter that temperatures could still drop a little lower this morning.
He said: 'It's the coldest night of the winter so far, with Santon Downham reaching -6.6C (so far, still another couple of hours to potentially fall lower).
'Woburn and Houghton Hall both down to -5.6C. This also makes it the coldest night in the region since 'The Beast from the East'.'
Temperatures in Norwich dropped to -5C overnight with widespread sharp frost in the rest of the county on Sunday morning as temperatures were as low as -4C.
Motorists are being urged to fully defrost their car and windows and not to leave cars unattended whilst doing so.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 3 Passengers angry after train heading to Norwich delayed for hours
- 4 Covid restrictions played part in father's death, inquest told
- 5 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 6 'My life has been plagued by fly-tipping for a year - I need it to stop'
- 7 Woman arrested after man hit with a broom in city centre
- 8 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 9 Norwich independent school named one of best in East Anglia
- 10 PRESSER: Spurs v City - Rashica major injury blow; Normann also out
Sergeant Chris Harris, of Norfolk and Suffolk's Roads and Armed Policing Team, said in a video on Twitter that he spent five minutes fully defrosting his vehicle.
He said: 'We're still finding that some people think it's acceptable just to clear a small bit of the windscreen - you're not driving a tank, so make sure you clear the windscreen fully.'
The forecast predicts a dry day today with long spells of crisp winter sunshine. A light breeze with temperatures eventually reaching highs of 3C to 6C - but it is expected to turn cold quickly this evening.