‘I was scared’ - Three-year-old girl tells of shock after massive tree falls near her house during Storm Doris
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
A three-year-old girl got the shock of her life when a massive tree came down right outside her home in the midst of storm Doris.
Little Poppy Gray was playing in the living room when the 15m-tall tree came crashing down just before 3pm.
Mum, Naomi Gray, who was also at their home in Spindle Road, Norwich, said it was terrifying.
Miss Gray said: 'It didn't sound like a tree, it sounded like a load of bricks tumbling down. It was so loud.'
Poppy said: 'It was a big noise. I was scared.'
A firefighter at the scene said Norfolk County Council workers would have to cut up the tree to remove it.
MORE: Storm Doris causes chaos across Norfolk and SuffolkEmergency services have been called to dozens of incidents of trees falling over and Norfolk police have had 28 emergency calls relating to fallen tress in the county just 15 minutes.
Weatherquest forecaster Phil Garner said the strong winds were likely to continue in the city into the evening.
- 1 Distraught Norwich City fan 'lost £98k in football betting site collapse’
- 2 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 3 Sale of council farm as part of 4,000 homes plan sparks controversy
- 4 Flood alert on the Broads due to high water levels
- 5 Chef reopens historic Norwich coffee shop with roasts on the menu too
- 6 Lorry crashes into ditch in village near Norwich
- 7 Historic pub and restaurant to reopen after £150,000 investment
- 8 Man had cocaine hidden in car when stopped by police
- 9 A coach 'filled with people' and a van crash on the NDR
- 10 Theatre director's planning bid branded 'an attempt to rewrite history'
'They are starting to change direction now and coming round to the north, north west, but there are still winds in excess of 50mph on the north coast until about 8.30pm.
'It's only after then that we'll see things start to settle.'
He said that Friday would be a calmer day, with wind speeds dropping, temperatures hovering around 10C to 11C and little chance of rain.