Waveney District Council mourns loss of popular councillor
- Credit: Archant
Tributes have been paid to a popular councillor who died suddenly yesterday (Thursday) following a short illness.
Waveney District Council confirmed today that they were 'mourning the loss' of councillor Mike Ives-Keeler, who passed away on Thursday.
Mr Ives-Keeler, who was elected as member for the Oulton ward in 2011, was immediately handed the post of shadow cabinet member for resources by the opposition Labour Group.
Today, friend and colleague Tod Sullivan paid touching tributes.
Mr Sullivan, Labour group leader, said: 'I knew Mike for some time before we realised our mutual interest in Labour politics. I came to regard him as a friend, a close and trusted colleague and someone with whom I shared many aims, objectives and beliefs.
You may also want to watch:
'He worked hard within our group and for the people of Oulton, was a gregarious and popular party member who worked with and on behalf of a number of local charities and organisations.'
Mr Suillivan added: 'I will miss Mike personally, as will my colleagues and we have the deepest sympathy for his close friends and family who have our ongoing love and support. The entire council have been comradely and compassionate since Mike was taken ill and it speaks to the genuine human decency within our local politics that support for one another has been cross party and cross council.'
- 1 Missing man found by off-duty police officer
- 2 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
- 3 Man jailed for 24 years for raping and sexually assaulting two girls
- 4 Three Norfolk hotels named among the best for romance in the UK
- 5 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 6 Man charged after cannabis factory and 300 plants found above pizza takeaway
- 7 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 8 Early hours arrests as part of 'ongoing police investigation'
- 9 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 10 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting
Paying his respects, Waveney District Council leader Colin Law also paid tribute to Mr Ives-Keeler.
Mr Law said: 'I am utterly shocked and saddened by the news of Mike's passing. He was a well-liked and respected member who contributed much to this council and the communities he served.
'As an opposition councillor, he always acted with integrity, providing robust but fair-minded challenge to the administration at all times,' he added.
'It goes without saying that everyone at the council is saddened by this and all our thoughts are with Mike's family and children at this time.'