Watlington grandfather writes children’s books after serving in the army for 26 years
A west Norfolk grandfather who spent 26 years serving as a soldier has turned his hand to writing children's books.
Andy Whiting, of Watlington near King's Lynn, divides his time between working as a reserve soldier and finishing his adventure series.
'It wasn't until the latter part of my career in 2014 that I thought 'what could I do?' when I put down the mighty pen of the army,' said the father-of-five and grandfather-of-two.
His series of children's books, available to download on the Amazon Kindle, feature a little boy called Bingy and his adventures. Bingy lives with his parents in a lighthouse on a small island and his favourite toy is a magic crystal which, when he rubs it, opens doorways to different worlds.
The first book in the trilogy, aimed at five to 12-year-old children, is The Magic Crystal, the second The Lost Dinosaur - inspired by his grandchildrens' love of dinosaurs - and the third instalment is in the pipeline.
You may also want to watch:
The 45-year-old, who was a full-time soldier serving in the Coldstream Guards and the Adjutants General Corps, said: 'In the long-term I want to get it on the television but that is every writer's dream. But for me it would be a great achievement.'
Mr Whiting, a reserve soldier with the Third Battalion, The Royal Anglian Regiment, added his 12-year-old son Harrison was 'hooked' by the time he had finished the books and was 'shocked' his father had written them.
- 1 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 2 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 3 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 4 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 5 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 6 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 7 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 8 Jailed this week: Abuse, assaults and burglaries
- 9 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
Do you have a story? Email firstname.lastname@example.org