WATCH: Mould, broken fittings and insects at “nightmare experience” in MJB hotel
- Credit: Archant
A hotel guest has told how she was so disgusted with the state of her room that she felt she had no choice but to sleep in her clothes.
Johanna Sharland had travelled to Norwich from Nottingham to visit her son in hospital when she decided to stay at the Lodge Hotel, in Unthank Road with her friend Dawn Dawson on Friday, May 26.
The pair settled on the MJB hotel at a cost of £60 for two nights after ignoring negative online reviews, dismissing them as 'fussy people'.
But they soon found a litany of issues including a broken door frame, bed bugs, mould and urine stains in their room.
You may also want to watch:
MJB Hotels owner Tony Burlingham said he did not want to comment on the story.
Ms Sharland, 57, said she had stayed at The Beeches three years ago and had no problems.
- 1 Norfolk fuel update: Football match called off as crisis reaches day five
- 2 Former DJ and worker at Norfolk school was a 'deviant sexual predator'
- 3 Seaside restaurant hit with zero food hygiene rating
- 4 Week's worth of fuel gone in hours at village filling station
- 5 Police probe launched after video shows officer kick out
- 6 Nine ways to make your fuel last and avoid joining petrol station queues
- 7 NASA rocket spotted over Norfolk
- 8 Why are there queues for petrol - and do you really need to fill up?
- 9 Fuel shortages are on those who panicked - don't just blame the media
- 10 Norfolk Broads' village in £150,000 bid to buy land at auction
'At the time our experience was fine,' she said. 'There was nothing amiss at all. I didn't take any notice of the bad reviews this time. I must admit I thought they were just fussy people.'
She hadn't seen her son since last August and had made an appointment to see him on Friday evening.
'I had actually wanted to stay in an MJB hotel,' she added. 'I thought they were perfectly adequate after the last time.'
After finding the state of the room, Ms Sharland said she was getting 'infuriated'.
'The door was just being held up with four screws,' she said. 'It was all shattered and there were chunks missing from the walls.
'There were cracks in the bathroom walls and a board screwed to the ceiling painted black to cover a big crack. The windows were broken and one had no handle.
'The only thing left for us was a kettle - no cups or glasses or coffee. There were urine stains on the floor.
'One of the beds had a black sheet and had bed bugs in.'
A maintenance worker visited that evening to fix the smoke alarm, but the pair still weren't comfortable and slept in their clothes. Both said they were bitten during the night.
'We slept in our clothes and woke up at 5am to get out,' added Ms Sharland. 'I wanted to stay anywhere but there. We would never go there again - to any of them. I would not want to put my health in danger, or my life for that matter. I do not trust them at all.
'I have asked for a refund but heard nothing back from them.'