Waitrose submits planning applications for North Walsham store
Waitrose has submitted its planning application to convert the former Focus DIY unit in Cromer Road, North Walsham, into a food store.
The supermarket giant announced last December that it wants to convert the existing shell into a Waitrose, creating 150 jobs.
Two applications - one for change of use and the other for signage - were formally submitted to North Norfolk District Council yesterday.
If approved Waitrose hopes to spend eight weeks on the conversion and open for business in October.
A total of 693 people attended a public exhibition held at the Methodist Church Hall in North Walsham's Grammar School Road in February. Of 676 comment forms returned, 653 indicated outright support for the proposals and 23 support with reservations, according to Waitrose.
You may also want to watch:
James Gilhooley, Waitrose Head of Property, said: 'We wanted to ensure the final application we submitted was the right one for North Walsham and are confident this will deliver a quality Waitrose food shop that can make a positive contribution to the town.
'By bringing a vacant site back into use we can quickly deliver new local jobs and improved choice, but importantly encourage more businesses to invest here and help maintain a vibrant town centre.
- 1 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 2 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 3 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 4 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 5 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 6 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 7 Hotel owner on directing The Only Way is Essex stars in Norfolk
- 8 'It's a blow for the community' - Day centre closes after 43 years
- 9 Giles Orpen-Smellie elected as police and crime commissioner
- 10 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
'Whilst we have been overwhelmed by the support we have received from local residents and would like to thank everyone who provided feedback, we take nothing for granted and would encourage people who would like the scheme to happen to make their voices heard.'
The application reference number is: PF/12/0310.