Voting set to open for South Norfolk community pub of the year competition
Voting will open this week for South Norfolk Council's fourth Community Pub of the Year Awards.
Nominations by punters for their favourite pub will open from Friday, June 1 and will close on July 31.
South Norfolk Council is believed to be the only local authority in the country which runs a community pub awards scheme.
Sue Thomson, judging panel chairman, said: 'We think we have found that special something every pub must have to survive and thrive. It means going beyond great food and great beer – essential though they are. You have to throw open your doors to local clubs and local societies, and hold events for local people.'
'This competition has made our publicans think differently about their place in the community. And as a result, we have certainly seen an improvement in pubs in South Norfolk.'
You may also want to watch:
Past winners include the Coldham Hall pub in Surlingham, the Wortwell Bell, near Harleston and the Pelican at Tacolneston.
There will be a winning pub in each of the five South Norfolk Neighbourhoods, and an overall winner.
- 1 Man, 89, was killed by lorry as he headed to his parents' grave
- 2 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 3 'Absolutely horrific' - Girl, 14, kicked and punched in face in fight
- 4 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 5 Go-ahead for eagles to be reintroduced to Norfolk
- 6 Former Primark store goes up for rent
- 7 Ten Covid patients in Norfolk's hospitals means more restrictions should be eased
- 8 1,000 people book for Norwich restaurant's 'back out to help out' offer
- 9 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 10 The magic moment Cantwell helps young fan touch trophy
People can nominate their pubs by texting PUB followed by the name of the pub and its location to 88010.
Or punters can visit www.south-norfolk.gov.uk/pubs or email email@example.com . Texts are charged at the standard network rate.