Voluntary first aid group in Thetford fundraising for new motor
- Credit: Shauna Tate
Working with the ambulance service, they help to provide life-saving care to people in their community.
But the Thetford Community First Responders have been besieged by car trouble.
The voluntary organisation's 12 year old Vauxhall has clocked up tens of thousands of miles and problems with its battery mean it now requires regular jump starts.
Volunteer Jamie Warnock said: 'Our vehicle has done a massive amount of miles and it getting towards the end of its life.
'The last thing you want is to be called to a cardiac arrest and have to jump start the van.
You may also want to watch:
'Although we can use our own vehicles, it is quite critical for the group to get a new vehicle.
'We have a van at the moment but a car would be better.'
- 1 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 2 Plans to open McDonald's on outskirts of town in 2022
- 3 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 4 First look as Norwich's new £2.75m recycling centre opens
- 5 Birds of prey found shot and poisoned during raid in Norfolk
- 6 Reader letter: How Roy Hodgson can save Norwich City
- 7 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 8 Woman in 70s knocked over by cyclist at bus station
- 9 'Ugly' Norfolk pub fight was sparked by act of revenge, court hears
- 10 Norwich man found guilty of 33-year-old's murder
The CFRs are sent by the ambulance service to 'Red 1' and 'Red 2' calls – serious ailments like strokes and cardiac arrests – to provide emergency care, and also transport air ambulance crews to casualties.
It is one of two CFR groups in Norfolk to have its own vehicle – the other is in Diss.
Mr Warnock said the organisation is looking for a relatively new vehicle or one with a low mileage.
'We are looking to raise the money for a new vehicle, or for a nice garage to say we can have one of theirs if we sign-write it.'
Although the CFRs are supported by the ambulance service and volunteers are provided with training, the organisation is self-funded and has to purchase its own equipment, uniforms and vehicles.
To donates, go to www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ThetfordCFR or email email@example.com