Anger after council changes location of home and school plans meeting
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Families have been left confused and angered after a parish council changed the location of a meeting to discuss controversial plans to build 170 houses and a new school in their village.
Brooke Parish Council was set to meet at Brooke Village Hall on Thursday, June 21 but it has since been moved to Framingham Earl High School.
Vice chairman of Brooke Council Liz Powell said: 'The reason we have changed it is because we really want people to come to the meeting.
'We can only have 120 in Brooke Village Hall due to fire regulations and after we saw how many people went to the consultation for everyone to come to the meeting we had to change location.'
But villagers are worried the change will put people off attending.
Jessica Jennings said: 'For something of this major importance to the village, it should most definitely be held in the village.
'The change of time will put off a lot of people. Getting home from work, making tea and then having to either drive or, even worse, catch a bus to Framingham Earl is just stupid.'
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 Air ambulance called after three people seriously injured in A47 crash
- 3 Should cars be banned from Norwich's steepest hill?
- 4 Seven Sprowston neighbours scoop £30,000 lottery win
- 5 Meet the man behind a morbid new craze
- 6 Car boot sale to return after five years with up to 200 pitches
- 7 Asteroid bigger than any building on Earth to be visible in Norfolk skies
- 8 A47 reopens after serious crash
- 9 Custom-built six-bedroom home with indoor slide on the market for £900,000
- 10 New operators take over at council-owned leisure centre
Leader of South Norfolk Council and councillor for Brooke John Fuller says that too many rumours are being spread online.
He said: 'Residents have to be patient. The decision to move the meeting to the high school was only confirmed late on Tuesday, June 12. Information on the move will be made available.
'It is important that as many people as possible are able to come and find out the facts about this development. There are too many rumours being put on social media.'
The parish council will be informing residents of the change and posting flyers to every home.
Other villagers say they understand that changes needed to be made.
Linda Sinclair said: 'I think it makes sense, many members on here were saying a couple of weeks ago that Brooke Village Hall won't be big enough.
'It would be pointless and totally impracticable to have half the village standing outside. The important thing is that there is a meeting and that it is in a suitable venue.'
The homes are being proposed by FW Properties on the east side of Norwich Road in an area behind Brooke Village Hall.