Villagers’ safety concerns force rethink on diversion of Litcham to Great Dunham traffic through East Lexham
Villagers worried about lorries being diverted down narrow one-track lanes used by school children have persuaded Norfolk County Council to come up with an alternative scheme.
The road between Litcham and Great Dunham was due to be closed for five weeks starting June 28 to allow cattle grids to be installed at Litcham Common, with all traffic, including HGVs and school buses, directed through East Lexham.
However, following objections from local residents and a haulage operator, the council has decided to take traffic via Dereham Road, Longham, Wendling, the A47 and back through the Dunhams, and asked for the works to be postponed until the summer holidays.
East Lexham resident Stephanie Northen distributed a notice to raise awareness about the proposed diversion at a village quiz.
She said: 'I'm relieved that they have seen sense and decided not to do something that was potentially dangerous, so it's good news. You would have had vehicles that are too large for patches of roads that have grass growing across them.
'I would urge local people to state their case when they feel that things are not being done to their liking.'
A council spokesman said it did not have new dates for the work, but would publicise details when the new arrangements were finalised.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Tributes to 'kind and caring' Norwich man with a love of chess and walking
- 3 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 4 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 5 Man who died in Old Buckenham crash named
- 6 'Like touching grim reaper's nose': Teenager lucky to be alive after crash
- 7 Broads pub once visited by Chelsea players shuts for good
- 8 Bid to build 70-bed care home and 24 affordable houses
- 9 'Fantastic' barn conversion with golf simulator and games room is for sale
- 10 Fire crews called to house fire in north Norfolk