Vigils held in Norwich and Wymondham to remember MP Jo Cox
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
Vigils have been held in Wymondham and Norwich to remember Labour MP Jo Cox who died after being shot in the street of her Yorkshire constituency.
More than 150 people attended a vigil held at St Mark's Church community centre, in Hall Road, Norwich, this evening.
Afterwards, Labour Norwich South MP Clive Lewis, said: 'It was very, very emotional, it was very cathartic and I think it reflected very much the sense of deep shock, and I am also going to say I think as well the determination that Jo Cox's death won't be for nothing.
'I think people are very concerned and also I think there's a sense of anger from some people about how the atmosphere of British politics has been corrupted.'
About 60 people also gathered at Wymondham Market Cross this afternoon for a vigil led by Conservative Mid-Norfolk MP George Freeman.
You may also want to watch:
A picture of Ms Cox alongside some flowers and the Union flag were poignantly displayed as people of all ages paused to pay their respects.
Mr Freeman said: 'When an MP is brutally killed outside her constituency surgery it is a brutal and shocking tragedy... And as this evening's vigil showed it is also a moment to pause and reflect at what has gone wrong in society. Let us stand together and unite in our shared commitment to insist on a Parliamentary democracy in which we can all be proud.'
- 1 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 2 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 3 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 4 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 5 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations
- 6 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 7 Petrol stations close nationally as HGV driver crisis worsens
- 8 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 9 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 10 Delays on A47 after lorry overturns