VIDEO: Woman cyclist in near miss as Norwich to Cambridge train roared through Fen station comes forward to police
- Credit: Archant
A cyclist who came within seconds of being hit by a train at Waterbeach level crossing after ignoring red warning lights and a safety barrier has come forward to the British Transport Police (BTP).
The driver of the 1812 Greater Anglia Cambridge to Norwich train had to apply the emergency break before the cyclist stepped back, narrowly avoiding being struck.
British Transport Police put the cyclist on their 'most wanted' list and issued CCTV images – and film footage- of the incident.
They said the woman hasnow got in touch and officers will be speaking to her 'on a voluntary basis' next week.
A British Transport Police (BTP) spokesman said: 'I'd like to thank the public and local community, as well as the media, for all their help and assistance in this investigation.
You may also want to watch:
'I hope the shocking CCTV serves as a stark warning not to misuse level crossings.'
PC Matt Mildinhall, of British Transport Police, said: 'This woman simply put her life on the line by not only ignoring the warning lights but went through the barriers and onto the line.'
- 1 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 2 Teenage boy found a week after being reported missing
- 3 Prince William, George and Charlotte start races at Sandringham
- 4 School apologises for uniform advice wording after sexism claims
- 5 Dutch design could inspire revamp of danger roundabout
- 6 Rare condition kills 'amazing' lorry driver
- 7 A47 driver stopped in smashed up Vauxhall and failed drug test
- 8 Popular restaurant to reopen after staffing issues
- 9 'Fantastic to have people back' - Tea room reopens on Broads
- 10 WATCH: Heron patiently waits for fish and chips
Jay Thompson, Greater Anglia's head of safety, praised the driver for their quick thinking which prevented a tragedy.
He said: 'The train driver reacted very quickly when he spotted the cyclist and took all necessary action in responding to this incident.
'Not only was this incident very traumatic for the driver, but it could have resulted in the cyclist being killed. It is really important that everyone follows the safety instructions at level crossings.'
More than 100 trains a day travel through Waterbeach level crossing, reaching speeds of up to 75mph.