VIDEO: Woman cyclist in near miss as Norwich to Cambridge train roared through Fen station comes forward to police
- Credit: Archant
A cyclist who came within seconds of being hit by a train at Waterbeach level crossing after ignoring red warning lights and a safety barrier has come forward to the British Transport Police (BTP).
The driver of the 1812 Greater Anglia Cambridge to Norwich train had to apply the emergency break before the cyclist stepped back, narrowly avoiding being struck.
British Transport Police put the cyclist on their 'most wanted' list and issued CCTV images – and film footage- of the incident.
They said the woman hasnow got in touch and officers will be speaking to her 'on a voluntary basis' next week.
A British Transport Police (BTP) spokesman said: 'I'd like to thank the public and local community, as well as the media, for all their help and assistance in this investigation.
You may also want to watch:
'I hope the shocking CCTV serves as a stark warning not to misuse level crossings.'
PC Matt Mildinhall, of British Transport Police, said: 'This woman simply put her life on the line by not only ignoring the warning lights but went through the barriers and onto the line.'
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
Jay Thompson, Greater Anglia's head of safety, praised the driver for their quick thinking which prevented a tragedy.
He said: 'The train driver reacted very quickly when he spotted the cyclist and took all necessary action in responding to this incident.
'Not only was this incident very traumatic for the driver, but it could have resulted in the cyclist being killed. It is really important that everyone follows the safety instructions at level crossings.'
More than 100 trains a day travel through Waterbeach level crossing, reaching speeds of up to 75mph.