Video: Shiver me timbers! It’s International Talk Like A Pirate Day
Arrrrr!!! Ahoy, me hearties!
The Jolly Roger is flying high today as pirate fans celebrate International Talk Like A Pirate Day.
Norfolk's own Stephen Fry has paid tribute to the pirate day by tweeting 'Happy International Talk Like a Pirate Day, me swabs. Arrr.'
Here at the Evening News and EDP office some of the team have been donning pirate attire and have recorded a special message for readers, and staff at the Norwich Theatre Royal have also been putting on their best pirate voices and sharing some of their favourite phrases.
When asked why he thinks people are fascinated by the likes of Captain Hook, John Bultitude, Norwich Theatre Royal press officer, said: 'I think everyone loves pirates - it is the whole escapism thing, how you can just escape into a story, just like at the theatre.
You may also want to watch:
'It is a childhood thing too - as a child everyone likes playing at being pirates!'
Lewis Dunham, a bartender at the theatre, added: 'It all the being out at sea, getting to make your own adventures, and having the freedom of doing what you want, plus all that collecting of treasure - and who doesn't like treasure!'
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 6 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 7 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 8 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 9 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 10 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
How to talk like a pirate:
Ahoy, me hearties - Hello my friends
Avast! - Stop and give your attention
Aye! - Why yes, I agree most heartily with everything you just said or did.
Aye aye! - I'll get right on that sir.
Arrr! - can mean different things including I agree, I'm happy, or I'm enjoying this beer,
All hands hoay - all hands on deck
Shiver me timbers - an exclamation, of surprise or otherwise
• Share your favourite pirate phrases and tales below.