Video: Shiver me timbers! It’s International Talk Like A Pirate Day
Arrrrr!!! Ahoy, me hearties!
The Jolly Roger is flying high today as pirate fans celebrate International Talk Like A Pirate Day.
Norfolk's own Stephen Fry has paid tribute to the pirate day by tweeting 'Happy International Talk Like a Pirate Day, me swabs. Arrr.'
Here at the Evening News and EDP office some of the team have been donning pirate attire and have recorded a special message for readers, and staff at the Norwich Theatre Royal have also been putting on their best pirate voices and sharing some of their favourite phrases.
When asked why he thinks people are fascinated by the likes of Captain Hook, John Bultitude, Norwich Theatre Royal press officer, said: 'I think everyone loves pirates - it is the whole escapism thing, how you can just escape into a story, just like at the theatre.
You may also want to watch:
'It is a childhood thing too - as a child everyone likes playing at being pirates!'
Lewis Dunham, a bartender at the theatre, added: 'It all the being out at sea, getting to make your own adventures, and having the freedom of doing what you want, plus all that collecting of treasure - and who doesn't like treasure!'
- 1 Large police presence in Norfolk village after person dies on boat
- 2 Latest situation at Norfolk hospitals sees covid-related admissions remain static
- 3 Village pub offers 'proper' 1p 'Penne-y Pasta' dish with alcoholic drink
- 4 Schools close early for Christmas after outbreak of 11 Covid cases
- 5 30,000 Christmas turkeys to be culled in bird flu outbreak
- 6 Parts of Norfolk see heavy snow falls with more to come
- 7 Workmen unearth six skeletons during city street overhaul
- 8 Man denies running Japanese restaurant from Norwich home for the third time
- 9 Stubborn swan squares up to traffic in Norfolk village
- 10 Delays expected as 48-ton boat is transported through Suffolk and Norfolk
How to talk like a pirate:
Ahoy, me hearties - Hello my friends
Avast! - Stop and give your attention
Aye! - Why yes, I agree most heartily with everything you just said or did.
Aye aye! - I'll get right on that sir.
Arrr! - can mean different things including I agree, I'm happy, or I'm enjoying this beer,
All hands hoay - all hands on deck
Shiver me timbers - an exclamation, of surprise or otherwise
• Share your favourite pirate phrases and tales below.