Video: Norwich coffee shop owner prepares for semi-finals of UK Barista Championships
A sleight of hand, knowledge of the beans and passion for taste are just some of the skills required to become a great coffee barista.
Now it seems one Norwich cafe owner could be on his way to coffee stardom after demonstrating those very skills to qualify for the semi-finals of the UK Barista Championships.
Alex Sargeant, 29, co-owner of Strangers Coffee House in Pottergate, competed in the regional heat of the Speciality Coffee of Europe UK Chapter Barista Championships earlier this month. Held during the Norfolk Coffee Festival at The Space in Rowntree Way, Mr Sargeant finished second and is now gearing up to battle against 19 others at The London Coffee Festival at the Old Truman Brewery, Brick Lane, London, on Saturday, April 28.
Mr Sargeant said: 'I entered because I wanted more education about coffee and I wanted to improve my knowledge by being around people who know lots about coffee.'
He is hoping to be in the top six at the semi-finals to make the final the following day and be in with a chance of representing the UK at the World Barista Championships in Vienna in June.
He continued: 'You have to be passionate, a cup of coffee has to have love in it.
'You have to taste your drinks, like a cook tastes their food, to make sure it is the best.
- 1 Man charged with murder of 19-year-old daughter
- 2 Revealed: No one has paid £10,000 fines issued for breaking Covid rules
- 3 Father in court charged with murder of his teen daughter
- 4 Father and son in court charged with murder of man
- 5 Two men charged with murder after death in Downham Market
- 6 Concerns raised over fate of junior school site
- 7 Parking charges at city parks has raised £0
- 8 Farm launching wild camping with breakfast hampers and street food nights
- 9 Former Norwich restaurant to be transformed into £1.5m food hall
- 10 Four Norfolk gastropubs named among best in UK
'Espresso can be volatile, one day it can be amazing and another day you can treat it exactly the same and it will taste completely different.'
Watch Alex demonstrate his barista and latte art skills as he makes one of his speciality drinks, a cardamom and orange mochachino, on video at www.eveningnews24.co.uk