Video: Norwich band and Access to Music graduates The Piratones to tour UK after winning Atom Live competition
A band made of young music students have won a UK tour by beating musicians from across the country.
The Piratones – a five-piece soul and reggae influenced band – have won the chance to go on a UK tour in September, onboard an 18-berth tour bus with tour manager, crew and professional equipment, after winning a competition first in Norwich, then in Liverpool.
The band comprise Norwich musicians Luke Wilson, Zebedee Jordan, Georgia King, Dan Law and Robbie Wilhelm, all 18 to 19-year-old graduates of Access to Music, King Street. The group played in a competition in April called Atom Live at the OPEN venue on Bank Plain, beating a host of Norfolk bands to get a place at the national final in Liverpool, held as part of Sound City international music festival on May 18.
They stood out from the crowd and are now one of six acts to win a place on the tour.
Mr Jordan, from near Dereham Road, said: 'I keep forgetting about it and then I remember, and it is like; 'oh yes!' We did not expect to get through either competition, especially Liverpool – the bands were really good. The judges liked us as we are different and have a range of influences. We just started to jump around, there was beer going everywhere.'
You may also want to watch:
The band have stepped up their workload since winning.
'We just want to push it as far as we can. If we focus we can get somewhere with it,' said Mr Jordan.
- 1 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 2 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 3 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 4 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 5 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 6 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 7 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
- 8 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 9 Shoppers queue for revamped garden centre reopening
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries keen on Cherries ace
The band will tour the UK as part of the Atom Live Tour, visit www.atomlive.co.uk for more.