Video: No suspicious circumstances in Martham mushroom farm blaze
- Credit: James Taylor Photographic
An investigation into a fire that ripped through a former mushroom farm has revealed there are no suspicious circumstances behind the blaze.
Ten fire crews were sent to the site, off White Street in Martham at around 4.30pm on Friday.
At the height of the blaze around 100 firefighters were on scene, battling to contain the blaze, which has devastated buildings on the large plot.
Crews from Acle, Great Yarmouth, Gorleston, Stalham, North Walsham and Hethersett plus two water carriers, an environment protection unit and a control unit attended the blaze.
They battled the flames into the evening, keeping a watching brief overnight and damping down hot spots yesterday morning.
You may also want to watch:
The fire service said today that an investigation at the site has shown there to be no suspicious circumstances.
Several residents in Bradfield Drive were evacuated from their homes on Friday evening due to concerns over canisters on the site, and a 100 metre cordon was put in place around the disused buildings.
- 1 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 2 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 3 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 4 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 5 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 6 Market traders 'devastated' over council plans to revoke licences
- 7 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 8 Hamleys toy shop opens in Norwich shopping centre
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences in Lowestoft
- 10 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
A handful of residents were sent to a temporary rest centre at the village community centre in Rollesby Road, but all were allowed back in their homes by 10.30pm.
Mark Johnson, watch manager at Martham said the brigade's priority had been to contain the blaze, which involved several buildings, propane cylinders and asbestos.
'It spread from one building to a complex of barns and rapidly went through those, so our main priorities were to protect the housing estate on Bradfield Drive,' he said.
'There was asbestos and they're quite old, disused buildings as well so structurally they were unsound. While there was no rescue to do we wouldn't commit personal into unsafe structures.
'We were just containing the fire.'
He added: 'There were cylinders involved so residents were moved but were allowed back once we knew the cylinders were no longer a danger.'
The fire comes just a few weeks after another fire at the same disused barn when 100 bales of hay went up in flames.
During that incident, on January 29, firefighters and police were called out at 11pm.
The blaze was brought under control but, due to the size of the hay bales, fire officers decided that letting them burn out would be the most appropriate course of action.