Video: Hula hooping Easter chick wows crowds on Cromer Pier
- Credit: Archant
Curious passers-by are pausing to enjoy a hula-hooping Easter chick on Cromer Pier this afternoon.
Underneath the beaked hat, yellow costume and clawed feet is 17-year-old Gabbi Ryan who is trying to clock-up a mind-boggling 100,001 hoop gyrations over the Easter weekend.
Gabbi, of Swafield, near North Walsham, is a semi-finalist in Miss Teen GB and is raising money for Liverpool's Claire House Hospice, the charity supported by the contest.
A brisk sea breeze meant Gabbi was unable to keep more than one hula hoop going at once today. She had hoped to reach her target much quicker by keeping multiple hoops on the go.
'It's making my knees very sore. I didn't realise it was going to be such an endurance test,' said Gabbi, about two-and-a-half hours into her challenge when she had already managed more than 14,000 circles.
You may also want to watch:
Keeping a tally of her gyrations was mum Amanda while sister Saskia 11, dressed as the Easter Bunny, helped draw the crowds, and friends shook collection buckets.
Gabbi plans to make a return visit to the pier to complete her target on Easter Monday.
- 1 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 2 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 3 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 4 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 5 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 6 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 7 Canaries closing in on new shirt sponsor
- 8 WATCH: Heron patiently waits for fish and chips
- 9 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 10 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
She is a regular visitor to the attraction as she has danced in many of the pavilion theatre's Seaside Special summer and Christmas shows.
A gym instructor with North Walsham Gymnastics Club, she is also studying A-level PE at the town's Paston College.
Last month she bounced for some two miles around North Walsham on a pogo stick, raising money for Sport Relief.
She has previously back-flipped a mile for the same cause.
Gabbi has already raised about £300 for Claire House, with cake sales and tombolas at college.
She will find out in May or June whether she has made it to the Miss Teen GB final, due to take place in August.