VIDEO: Fair Green fun for Diss pancake races
Dozens of Diss residents celebrated Shrove Tuesday early with a series of pancake races on Fair Green.
Competitors had a flippin' good time on Sunday at the annual event, which will raise much-needed funds for the Fair Green Neighbourhood Association.
The community group took over the running of the green space two years ago after Diss Town Council decided against renewing its lease on the site.
Local people got involved in Fair Green's second annual pancake races on Sunday, with many more choosing to support and tuck into a pancake or two before Shrove Tuesday.
Gary Alexander, chairman of the neighbourhood association, said the group had achieved a lot since taking over the green, including the introduction of new children's play equipment, the resurfacing of pot-holed roads and the installation of gates to stop rat-run drivers using the green's access roads.
You may also want to watch:
Rachel Baker, who organised the pancake day races, said it was a 'lovely community event' and helped pay maintenance and insurance costs.
Winners were Archie and Jake Boyce-Moore in the under 5s category, Ty Ram in the 5 to 11-year-old category, Sophie Rose in the 11-16 years category, Claire Lister for the women, Will Nevitt for the men and the team race was won by the Misfits, comprising of town mayor Mike Bardwell, who donated their prize winnings back to the neighbourhood association. The group's next fundraiser will be an Easter-themed event on Saturday, April 7.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 4 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 5 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 6 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 7 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 8 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named
- 9 City draw up target list
- 10 Music-lovers' pub could be demolished for 23 flats
The event was sponsored by Diss Antiques, Toy Box Toys, the Cock Inn, Fair Green Fish Bar, Fayre View Restaurant, Roy Allen Engineering, and Copy Diss.