Updated: Water supplies now should be restored to thousands of south Norfolk homes by 11am today
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
Thousands of people in south Norfolk who have been without a mains water supply since Sunday should be reconnected by 11am today.
The water went off at 11am on Sunday, and Anglian Water engineers worked around the clock to fix the burst water main at Caistor St Edmund.
Anglian Water had said water supplies should be completely restored to everybody by 10am today, but this has now been extended to 11am. Anybody who is still without water after this time should get in touch with Anglian Water.
About 5,000 homes and businesses have been affected by the water problem in Caistor St Edmund, Poringland, Framingham Earl, Mundham, Newton Flotman, Hempnall, Hardwick and Postwick.
An Anglian Water spokesman said: 'Late last night the complicated repair to the burst main at Caistor St Edmund was successfully completed.
You may also want to watch:
'Water has been returning to the network overnight and is continuing to do so; however because of the large rural area covered this is likely to take a little bit longer before it reaches all of our customers' taps.'
The spokesman apologized to those affected over the past couple of days and thanked people for their patience and understanding.
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 3 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 4 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 5 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 6 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 7 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 8 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 9 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
He said: 'We know how disruptive this problem will have been to you and your neighbours, especially over the holiday season, and are very sorry.'
He also said that people may initially find that the water appears brown or cloudy but people should not be alarmed by this.
He said: 'When your water supply returns it may appear brown or be white cloudy water. Please do not be alarmed, this is normal and we are carrying out flushing to return the supply to normal, although it may take a while to clear.
'The brown colour is caused by naturally occurring iron sediments in the water mains being disturbed as the pipes refill. White or cloudy water is caused by air in the water.
'Both should be short lived and both are harmless.'
If you do not have water by 11am, contact Anglian Water on 0800 145145.
Water bowsers and tanks where people are able to collect water remain in place around the NR14 and NR15 area.
People are being reminded to take something with them to collect the water in, and also to boil the water before cooking or drinking it.
The bowser and tank locations are:
• The Mermaid Inn, Norwich Road, Bungay, NR35 2LB
• John Hurrell Garden Machinery, Old School Building, Kirby Road, Kirby Bedon, NR14 7DS
• Norwich & District Parabellum & Full Bore Club, Surlingham, NR14 7GL
• Cut Loke, Covey Lane, Surlingham, NR14 7AL
• Threeways, Gull Lane, Framlingham Earl, NE14 7SD
• Subaru Service Centre, Brooke Industrial Park, Brooke, NR15 1HJ
• Hall at 4 Trinity Hospital, The Street, Shotesham All Saints, NR15 1YW
• Poringland Primary School, The Footpath, Poringland, NR14 7RF (Bottled Water - ONLY)
• 21 Upgate, Poringland, NR14 7SH
• Saxlingham Primary School, Church Hill, Saxlingham Nethergate, NR15 1TD
• White Lion, The Street, Brooke, NR15 1JW
• Seething School, School Road, Seething, NR15 1DL
• Springfield, Brooke Road, Seething, NR15 1DS
• Surlingham Primary School, Walnut Hill, Surlingham, NR14 7DQ
• Cadey Leisure, 12 New Inn Hill, Rockland St. Mary, NR14 7HP
• Gull Inn, Loddon Road, Framingham Pigot, NR14 7PL
• Village Hall, Crookes Road, Bergh Apton, NR15 1BL
• The Royal Oak. The Street, Framingham Earl, NR14 7JT
• Railway Tavern, Norwich Ropad, Framingham Earl, NR14 7AB
• Village Hall, Steward Close, Saxlingham Nethergate, NR15 1AJ
• Lightpath Trading, The Street, Topcroft, NR35 2BL
• Village Hall, The Street, Rockland St. Mary, NR14 7ER
• Crown Point Public House, Kirby Road, Trowse, NR14 8RN
• Framingham Earl High School, Norwich Road, Framingham Earl, NR14 7QP
• Three Rivers Veterinary Surgery, The Street, Poringland, NR14 7RP
• Kings Head Public House, Norwich Road, Brooke, NR15 1AB
• The Three Horsehoes Public House, Alburgh Road, Hempnall, NR15 2NS
A full list of alternative supply locations is on the Anglian Water website: http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/news/interruptions/caistor-st-edmunds.aspx