UPDATED: Rileys and Roys evacuated after fire on Magdalen Street in Norwich
A Norwich store and a snooker hall were evacuated this morning after a fire broke out on a busy Norwich street.
Fire crews were called to Magdalen Street at 10.20am after rubbish was set on fire and nearby bushes caught light.
Plumes of smoke damaged the wall and roof voids of nearby Roys supermarket and Rileys snooker hall.
Both businesses were evacuated but staff have since been allowed back into the buildings.
A spokesman for Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service said: 'Crews were called at around 10.20am. A fire was started in rubbish and undergrowth next to Roys. The smoke moved up into the roof void. There were no injuries and the fire was put out pretty quickly.'
You may also want to watch:
Using social networking site Twitter @Rileys_Norwich said: 'There is a fire within the premises. All staff are safe. Will keep you updated.'
Reports that part of the ceiling in Rileys had fallen down were said to be unfounded.
- 1 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 2 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 3 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 4 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 5 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 6 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 7 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 8 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 9 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
- 10 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
Fire crews from Earlham, Sprowston, Carrow, Hethersett and Great Yarmouth were all called.
Fire crews have now left the scene.
Do you know anything about the fires? Contact reporter the newsdesk on 01603 7724443 or email email@example.com.