UPDATED: Norwich flat fire
A block of flats was saved from going up in flames by firefighters in the early hours of the morning.
Firefighters were called to a flat fire in Portway Square, near Dereham Road, Norwich at about 4.30am today (Monday).
The fire had broken out in a bin cupboard next to the flat, just feet away from gas mains.
Everyone in the flat managed to get out safely. Firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used hoses to extinguish the flames.
Gemma Kane, 30, who lives in Portway Square, said: 'I heard the water from the hoses more than anything and then I saw the flashing blue lights.
You may also want to watch:
'We weren't evacuated, we just stood outside the door. It could've been a lot worse - the whole block of flats could've gone up in flames.'
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 2 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 3 Delays on roads as petrol queues continue
- 4 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 5 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 6 Why has a golden dome appeared in this Norfolk town?
- 7 Weird Norfolk: Is Diss Mere the waterlogged crater of an extinct volcano?
- 8 A11 to undergo 18 months of roadworks
- 9 Concern raised over work on anaerobic digestion plant on outskirts of village
- 10 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast