UPDATE Workshop and shed destroyed in Reydon
A north Suffolk man has been left 'devastated' after his workshop and shed at his home was destroyed by a fire in the early hours of yesterday morning.
The workshop and shed were left a smouldering pile of ashes and debris after the blaze broke out in the garden at Windsor Road, Reydon, near Southwold.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service were told of the fire at just before 1am and it sent fire engines from Wrentham, Southwold and Halesworth to put it out. The fire was out by 2.50am.
Because of fears the shed and workshop contained canisters the couple living in the house had to leave and several neighbouring homes had to be evacuated.
The 68-year-old man who owned the shed and garages had to be treated for smoke inhalation after he went to the wor shops and shed to save his wife's bike from the fire.
He said he has used the shed and workshop to make walking sticks as a hobby and had hoped to extend the site they were on when he retired.
The man, who did not want to be named, said: 'I feel devastated. My dream was to have a really big workshop.'
- 1 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 2 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 3 Norwich firm part of growing number of businesses working four day weeks
- 4 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 5 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
- 6 Popular teacher, 55, died after falling down stairs, inquest hears
- 7 Teenager died of injuries six days after crash
- 8 John Lewis CCTV footage leads to Norwich gun arrests
- 9 A year on: Tributes to teacher who died following tumour diagnosis
- 10 1920s bungalow up for sale in one of the Broads' most sought-after villages