Update: Woman who suffered burns in Great Yarmouth fire arrested on suspicion of arson
- Credit: Archant
A woman who suffered burns to her face and arm in a Great Yarmouth house fire has been arrested on suspicion of arson.
The 44-year-old remains in custody at Great Yarmouth Police Investigation Centre where she was taken after receiving treatment for her injuries at the James Paget University Hospital.
Firefighters and police were called to the guest house in Paget Road at around 1.15am today. The three-storey house was evacuated and the road was sealed off while emergency services worked at the scene.
Five fire crews from Yarmouth and Gorleston, including an aerial ladder platform, used breathing appartatus to tackle the fire and were on the scene for over an hour.
Sixteen residents were temporarily re-housed overnight and a police seal remains in place around the house this morning.
You may also want to watch:
A further four people were treated for minor smoke inhalation by paramedics but did not need hospital care.
Neighbours described being woken up by sirens and flashing lights in the early hours.
- 1 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 2 Woman sexually assaulted in Norwich
- 3 Norfolk-based Rick Wakeman 'stunned and proud' after being made a CBE
- 4 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 5 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 6 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 7 Family told baby with half a working heart has weeks to live
- 8 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 9 Woman on soft-food diet 'forever' after attack by kick-boxer partner
- 10 Ask the Expert: How much income will my £350,000 pension generate?
Val Morgan, who has lived on Paget Road for 28 years, said: 'There was fire engines, an ambulance, police and about 40 people looking. I couldn't see flames or smell smoke but there was lots of people looking.'
The fire comes just 12 hours after paramedics and fire crews were called to another house fire in the town, involving two toddlers.
Emergency teams were called just after 1pm yesterday to an address near St George's Park.
Two toddlers were assessed by ambulance crews for smoke inhalation but after being checked over their condition was not deemed serious and they were left at home in the care of their mum.
Ambulance staff have now issued advice about staying safe.
Fires of any kind can lead to smoke and toxic fume inhalation, which can be serious; less obvious symptoms to look out for can include headache, nausea, dizziness, and tiredness amongst others.
These can worsen the longer the fumes are inhaled, eventually leading to a loss of consciousness.