Update: Search called off following report of body close to Southwold harbour
A SEARCH has been called off in Southwold this afternoon (Wednesday) following a report that a body had been sighted 'floating out of the harbour.'
Police, Yarmouth Coastguard, an RNLI crew and the search and rescue helicopter from Wattisham were all alerted, and a search of the area began at about 1.30pm following the report from a member of the public, who had 'seen a body in the harbour.'
It is understood that the initial sighting of the body was about 200m north of Southwold harbour.
A police spokesman said: 'We were called just before 1.30pm after someone reported a body near the harbour at Southwold. Along with the coastguard and some air support we attended, but on arrival nothing was found.
'A search of the coastline was then carried out and this search ended as the light began to fade.'
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman from Wattisham said: 'The search has been called off at 3.40pm as nothing has been found.'
A spokesman for Southwold Lifeboat, the Leslie Tranmer, said: 'We were asked to assist following a report of an object in the water, floating out of the harbour. We did not recover anything and the lifeboat is now back on station.'
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 4 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 5 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 6 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 7 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 8 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea
- 9 Plans proposed for 'flexible' space in derelict area of popular park
- 10 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched