UPDATE: Rape allegation at 2011 Latitude Festival

A man arrested following an allegation of rape at this year's Latitude Festival has been bailed by police.

A 24-year-old man from Ipswich was arrested yesterday after a 20-year-old woman attending the festival at Henham Park, between Beccles and Southwold, made the allegations. Police were called to the festival site at about 7am yesterday.

Today (Monday, July 18) a spokesman for Suffolk Constabulary said the man had now been released on bail and is due to return to Lowestoft Police Station on September 14, pending further enquiries.

The incident is believed to have happened inside a tent on the staff campsite. The area was cordoned off while initial investigations took place.

It is thought both parties knew each other before attending the festival.


You may also want to watch:


Yesterday the 20-year-old woman was being spoken to by specially trained officers, while the 24-year-old man was taken into custody at Lowestoft to be interviewed by detectives.

Latitude organisers Festival Republic previously said they were keen to make the festival a safe place following last year's event, which was also rocked by two allegations of rape.

Most Read

One of the allegations lead to the arrest of a man, who later faced no further police action, and the second has since been closed following a thorough investigation.

Last night Festival Republic managing director Melvin Benn said: 'Whatever has happened is now a matter for the police. What I am clear about is that I don't see this as a reflection of Latitude Festival.

'We assisted as much as could possibly be achieved when she brought the allegation to us.'

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter