Update: RAF Mildenhall to close as Pentagon reveals plans to move assets to Germany
- Credit: Gregg Brown
RAF Mildenhall US Air Force Base is set to close as part of a sweeping reorganisation, according to reports.
The US military news outlet, Stars and Stripes, reports that the Suffolk base, home to the USAF special operations forces, refueling tankers and 3,200 military personnel, will be moved to other locations such as Germany.
Meanwhile, two squadrons of F-35s will now be relocated to RAF Lakenheath by 2020.
You may also want to watch:
The move will see RAF Mildenhall's 352nd Special Operations Wing move to Germany.
A spokesman for USAF said it would keep people in the local area informed, but that it could not comment until the review process - known as the European Infrastructure Consolidation (EIC) - was completed.
- 1 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 2 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 3 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 4 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 5 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 6 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 7 Canaries closing in on new shirt sponsor
- 8 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 9 WATCH: Heron patiently waits for fish and chips
- 10 Driver cut from vehicle after crash on Norwich ring road
'The European Infrastructure Consolidation process is still ongoing, with no final information available for release.
'The Secretary has approved recommendations he intends to move forward with, and the department is now coordinating efforts to finalize an execution strategy.
'This infrastructure consolidation will not affect our operational capabilities. The United States remains fully committed to European security and continued cooperation with our European Allies and partners in meeting our shared global interests.
'Because the process is still ongoing, it is inappropriate to speculate as to the final outcomes of the EIC,' he said.
An official announcement is expected this afternoon.
Two other US facilities in the UK - RAF Alconbury and Molesworth, will also close. Most of their missions will move to RAF Croughton.
A number of closures will also take place in Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Italy and Portugal.
The Pentagon expects to save $500m a year from the consolidations, which have been under review for more than a year.
Will you be affected by the closure? Email reporter Andrew Fitchett on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07584 503055.