UPDATE: Police release CCTV images in hunt for prisoner Andrew Farndon, who escaped custody at West Suffolk Hospital in Bury St Edmunds

Police have released CCTV images to help the nationwide manhunt for a convict who escaped when two prison officers were threatened at gunpoint outside West Suffolk Hospital in Bury St Edmunds.

Andrew Farndon, 26, was being transported from HMP Highpoint for treatment last night (Wednesday 25th) after he was injured in an incident at the prison.

He arrived in a taxi with one male and one female guard, who he was handcuffed to.

At about 6.50pm outside the A&E department, the officers were threatened by a man with a gun who pointed his weapon at the female guard's head and insisted Farndon be freed.

The pair then ran off across the car park and may have escaped in a dark-coloured vehicle. No-one was hurt in the incident.

CCTV images of the man with the gun approaching the scene and the two men fleeing have now been released. Police have also released images of people they want to speak to who may have witnessed the incident.

Farndon, a slim man who is 6ft 1ins tall, had a shaved head and a goatee beard at the time of his escape, and was wearing a dark blue baseball cap and a light-coloured jumper that was padded on the right side due to the injury to his shoulder.

Most Read

The man with the gun is described as in his mid-40s, around 5ft 8ins tall, of stocky build, possibly with a Scottish accent and was wearing a white top and blue jeans.

It is believed likely that the pair may have left Suffolk and, although police are still carrying out local inquiries in case they are still in the county, officers are also liaising with other forces across the country to try to locate them.

Norfolk police are assisting their Suffolk colleagues in the manhunt.

A Norfolk Constabulary spokesman said: 'Norfolk officers, along with other forces, are assisting Suffolk police by remaining vigilant to any possible sighting.

'This extends to the public in Norfolk who are also asked to stay alert for any sightings. Police would remind members of the public not to approach either of the men but to call police straight away - using 999 if necessary for sightings or 101 to pass on information.'

Farndon was serving an indefinite prison sentence, with a minimum of three years before being considered for parole, after being sentenced at Coventry Crown Court in 2007 for GBH with intent, dangerous driving and aggravated vehicle taking.

It is understood to be the second time Farndon has escaped from custody. During a court appearance in connection with the GBH charge, he leapt the dock and was on the run from court for a time.

However, Farndon was a category C prisoner, who was considered unlikely to make a determined escape attempt.

The public have been urged not to approach the men, but to contact Suffolk police, or their nearest police station, as soon as possible, using 999 if necessary to report sightings or 101 to pass on information.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter