UPDATE on Toft Monks New Year’s Day death
Further tests are set to be carried out to establish the cause of death of a young man who died following an incident in Toft Monks, near Beccles on New Year's Day.
Police were called to Mardle Road, Toft Monks, at about 3.15am on January, 1 to reports of a disturbance outside the White Lion public house.
A 23-year-old man from Toft Monks, named locally as Lee Goldsmith, was taken to the James Paget University Hospital where he later died.
Two men, aged 45 and 38, were arrested at the scene in connection with the incident and have since been released on bail pending further enquiries.
Mr Lee's continues to be treated as unexplained following a Home Office post mortem examination carried out yesterday afternoon and detectives await the outcome of further tests.
The investigation is being led by the Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team.
Police have said that one of the men arrested was an off-duty Norfolk police officer.
- 1 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 2 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 3 Row erupts after dozens of trees aligning footpath chopped down
- 4 How Norfolk's current Covid figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 6 Christmas lights switch-on cancelled due to forecasted high winds
- 7 Freezing cold temperatures could see snow in parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 8 Fire crews tackle large barn blaze
- 9 Primary pupil sexually assaulted on way to school
- 10 Significant damage to church after metal stolen from roof
The matter has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission and the officer suspended pending the outcome of enquiries.