Update: Man arrested after five-hour stand off at Swaffham flat
- Credit: IAN BURT
A man who barricaded himself inside a flat for nearly five hours last night has been arrested on suspicion of affray, criminal damage and theft.
The stand off at Blake Court, off Brandon Road in Swaffham, started at about 7.20pm when police were called to reports of a suspected theft from a food store.
After entering the property to make an arrest, officers were forced to withdraw after a 24-year-old man became hostile.
He then barricaded himself inside, and extra officers and police negotiators were called and the road was corned off 'in the interests of safety'. Police said no-one else was in the flat.
Police said they breached a door at the flat at about 10.40pm, and the man was arrested at 11.10pm. No-one was injured.
You may also want to watch:
The man was taken to the police investigation centre at King's Lynn, where police said he will be questioned later today.
A fire crew from Swaffham and the ambulance service were also called to the scene to assist officers.
- 1 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 2 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 3 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 4 Norfolk set for dry week with temperatures to rise
- 5 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 6 Nick Knowles joins outcry as Norfolk police told to close Twitter accounts
- 7 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 8 Hundreds flock to see exotic birds in Yarmouth bushes
- 9 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 10 Hot property - Homes selling just days after being on market