Update: Investigations launched after Guyhirn chainsaw accident
A tree surgeon who was left fighting for his life after a chainsaw accident will make a full recovery, it has emerged.
The 21-year-old tree surgeon was working 25ft up a tree in Thorney Road, Guyhirn, at 3pm last Thursday when he slipped, causing a chainsaw to leave deep wounds in his neck and left arm.
Medics at the scene used techniques more usually found on the frontline in Afghanistan to save the life of the man who was conscious throughout.
He was taken to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge and was received by a physician and a vascular surgeon for emergency surgery where his condition at the time was stable but critical.
The man, who had severed all the major blood vessels in his neck, was then transferred to the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in London for specialist nerve repair to his arm.
But last night a spokesman from his employer, BTS Group, said: 'The tree surgeon that was involved in the incident last week is back home with his family in good sprits and will make a full recovery.
'Due to the quick thinking and highly trained staff in first aid on site the lad was rescued from the tree. I would like to thank all the staff on site for their calm professionalism in such a stressful situation.
- 1 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 2 Council leader arrested after suspected drink driving on Christmas Day
- 3 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 4 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 5 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
- 6 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 7 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 8 Seven of the oldest Norfolk businesses
- 9 One person taken to hospital after three-car crash on A47
- 10 Revealed: Travelodge behind multi-million pound hotel development
'BTS prides itself on an exceptional safety record and employs highly skilled staff who have clearly demonstrated their competency in the field.'
The announcement comes after a Health and Safety Executive spokesman confirmed the government body was investigating.
UK Power Networks, who the tree surgeon was working for when the accident happened, has also launched an investigation.
A spokesman said: 'UK Power Networks expresses regret that a contractor, engaged in tree trimming on our behalf, sustained serious injuries on Thursday. We wish him a full and speedy recovery.
'The safety of our staff and the public is a top priority at UK Power Networks. We take our responsibilities for safety very seriously and work hard to maintain and improve our safety record.
'We are investigating this incident in order to identify any improvements we can make to our procedures or training to help avoid such events in the future.'