UPDATE: Investigation continues into death of man in firearms incident at Titchwell

Part of the car park at the Briarfields Hotel, off the main A149 was sealed off tonight, with police standing guard at the entrance.

It has now emerged that a man was seen walking into the car park, at the rear of the hotel, with a gun shortly before the incident this afternoon.

Both a land ambulance and the Magpas Helimedix helicopter attended the scene, which is close to the RSPB Titchwell bird reserve, next to the main coast road.

Crews fought to save the victim, providing critical care, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

A Magpas spokesman said: 'When the Magpas team arrived, police and ambulance crews were attempting to resuscitate the patient. The helimedix then provided the man with A&E level critical care.

You may also want to watch:

'Sadly, despite all their best efforts, the man was pronounced dead at the scene, our thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.'

Earlier, Norfolk police said: 'Officers attended an address in Main Road, Titchwell, at 1.50pm today after concerns were raised for the safety of a male.

Most Read

'A 60-year-old man died from head injuries at the scene. Police are not looking for anyone else in connection with this incident.'

The dead man has not yet been named. It is not clear whether he was a guest at the �85 a night hotel, or whether the incident was witnessed by other guests or diners in the restaurant. Staff at Briarfields said no-one would be available to comment.

One neighbour said tonight: 'When I went by at about 2.30pm I saw a yellow helicopter and a lot of police officers and people looking over the wall.'

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus